Friday, November 13, 2009

Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler

This book actually earned Tyler a Pulitzer Prize. The cover is AWFUL: boring with yucky dull colors. But I try not to let that sway me...usually. Anyway, this is possibly the simplest novel I've read in a long time. It's about Maggie and Ira, a semi-normal couple that tries to keep their family together. Well, Maggie does anyway. Ira just gets annoyed by Maggie. It wasn't an "on-the-edge-of-your-seat" kind of book, but it was heartfelt and warm novel and a good read. It dealt with familial issues and issues that really, all women will probably face: trying to make your kids happy. I liked it. I liked its simplicity and the rhythm of the writing. And I liked that it was just like life: no fairytale endings, beginnings, or middles. Just cut and dry, like life. Isn't weird how we like to read about regular life sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment