Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Virgin's Lover by Phillipa Gregory

I know, I know, it sounds a little raunchy. But history FASCINATES me and she makes history interesting to read. Just be warned, there are some nasty scenes in there. Not as many as I expected, but there are some yucky parts.

Anyway, this book is about Elizabeth I, Queen of England. She comes to the throne without a husband, so England doesn't have a king to rule them. She starts a love affair with a (married) childhood friend and it gets crazy after that. What I liked about this book was all the historical information in it. They were at war with France and there were things going on with Scotland and Spain and it interests me to know all the politics that went on at that time. It's also cool that Elizabeth was able to rule without a male counterpart.

Content: PG-13
Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment