Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Queen of the Summer Stars

I'm not quite sure how to rate this book. I liked it and yet was very disturbed by it. I think it's supposed to be a teen book, but there is no way I would let a teen read this, I'm not even sure I want you reading it. This book is about Guinevere and Arthur. I was intrigued because, quite frankly, I don't think I really knew what the outcome of Guinevere's and Lancelot's romance was. So a read it. I enjoyed the story and hearing the dynamics of the king and queen with each other, their knights of the round table, and the problems of joining the different tribes and peoples. I learned a lot about British history as well as how paganism was turning into Christianity (this is what I found most fascinating). Overall I really liked the book and the outcome of Guinevere and Lancelot was different then expected and i really liked it!

Now the reason I don't recommend the book. It is very sexually explicit. It's not very specific, but it is mentioned. One chapter (I forget the name, but it's her the name of her Uncle, if you read this book SKIP THIS CHAPTER) was so disturbing! Again, if you read it SKIP THIS CHAPTER, it is unnecessary, we would have gotten the point without it. It really was a good think the book turned out well to redeem for that chapter. Besides this chapter there is still some unnecessary things in it, but they easily can be skipped.

I'm still struggling to recommend this book, but I did like it overall, but hate it at the same time. So, I say, Read at your own Risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment